Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Queen Size of Whatnots

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

The last time I let my creative juices flowing was when I was still in college. I was 19; back then, our dear, college professor, who was so hard to please asked us to write something about our thoughts in life. As soon as our class was dismissed, I was pretty excited to start, thinking it was going to be easy for me to write about it. When you're melancholic, not to mention a number of personal journals I've been keeping since I was 13, it's even better to write what life means to you.

So I went home motivated to write about the things I knew about life. After 4 hours of composing what's in my head, I finally decided to call it a day with a smile of fulfillment. When the day came for us to submit our homework, I had mixed emotions; excited because I thought I knew I did better and nervous because I was hoping my professor would like it. But when our professor handed back our works and called our names one by one the next day, I was let down. Our professor was mum, deadpan. It was very safe for me to presume and say at that time that again, nobody, not even one in our class make the grade.

Then came the unexpected yet one of my most fateful day. A few years later, our photography class had an out of town project. On the second night of our trip, our good ol' professor (he's our professor in most of our major subjects, by the way) and our class camped out. He then shared his two cents worth and started commending a few of my classmates whom he thought was noteworthy and had shown its potential. He kept up with describing the rest of the class' personality. When it was finally my turn on the hot seat, I was taken aback! So, my professor did notice all along. I can still recall every single bit of nice things he has said about me, particularly my passion for writing. Yes, I know that did not definitely make it to the headlines, but for me, his praises were enough for me to pursue what my life long dream is as soon as I finish college: to write.

And so came graduation; then started working a few weeks later, but it wasn't somewhere I can pursue my love for writing, not even close. For the past 8 years of my career, I haven't gotten a chance to put my writing skills into action until it died down. You see, it's easier to give up on your dream when you get caught on either of these things: when you're living a charmed life, OR when reality bites and you see the downsides to it.

"What is not started today is never finished tomorrow." -  Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Just when I thought my love for writing has fizzled, I came across Reiann's blog. My it served as a realization. Everything she had written was right. You have to make a couple of mistakes to get things right.  "You never get anything perfect in the first draft." Sure, coming up with a hundred excuses from time to time is plausible; more often than not you'll have the writer's block, but keep this in mind: it took 10,000 tries before Thomas Edison finally gets his incandescent bulb working. So get your pen and your hands working. Write, write, write!

5 comments:

  1. loveettt! <3 kaka.inspire!
    I really need to write again!hehe
    Thank you so much for posting!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi feliajane! Aww...thank you so much for the comment. Never stop doing what you love. It's the only thing that will inspire us to live life to the fullest. God bless! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one Ira! This reminds me to update my blog. I miss blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yey, Ira! Now that you've been 'Saved by Grace'(Coma), it's time for you to do your "therapy". You might think anung konek? ahah let's say since 19, nasa-Coma ang iyong creative thoughts, and then here comes Oct(wake me up when September ends and drama nya), bigla xang nagising. Well, definitely kailangan mong mare-orient and then magthererapy... After some time, bumalik na ang dating nyang function. And then all you have to do is (sabi mo nga) write write write... Ayon, ang masasabi ko lang, go, go, go! - D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bern, thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I just read yours. My, I got hooked! Tuloy mo lang yung blogs mo, nakaka-relate ako at nakaka entertain. :)

    Hello, Dane! Yep, this is just the start of my therapy from a coma. You're actually one of the few who made me realize that it's never too late to start. Salamat sa'yo! You are indeed one of my inspiration, naks! :)

    ReplyDelete